• What about medications in school?

    Over-the-counter medications

    The Pennsylvania Department of Health has recently changed its medication administration policy for schools. All schools in Pennsylvania must now have parent permission before they are able to administer over- the counter medications (OTC)(such as medications for pain, fever, upset stomach, cough etc.).

    Prescription Medications

    a.) If your child needs prescription medication or over-the-counter medication(OTC) not available in the Health Room, a Medication Authorization During School Hours form (available in Spanish here) must be completed by the parent/guardian and signed by your health care provider. Medications to be given in school must be in the original container, labeled with the child’s name, name and the dosage of the medication to be given , and the date(s) and times the medication is to be given. ALL medication to be given in school must be delivered to the school nurse by the parent/guardian.

    b.) Send only medications which absolutely must be given during school hours. Try to space medication doses to avoid school hours whenever possible.

    c.) If your child has asthma and carries an inhaler or needs to carry an Epi-Pen for severe allergic reaction, please have your health care provider complete the Muhlenberg School District medication administration form yearly.

     Please reference the Muhlenberg School District Use of Medication Policy No. 210 and 210.AR.