The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is responding to an outbreak of respiratory disease caused by COVID – 19. This disease was first detected in Wuhan City in China. CDC is following this rapidly evolving heath situation. On January 31, 2020, the United States declared a public health emergency to help the healthcare community respond to COVID-19. On March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared this a global pandemic. Exposure to COVID -19 comes from travel to China or direct contact with someone who has COVID – 19. Everyone can do their part to respond to this emerging public health threat. Click here for CDC guidance on how to reduce the risk of spreading your illness to others.
Students and staff are advised to-
- Stay home when you are sick. If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Cover coughs and sneezes. Use a tissue to cover coughs and sneezes, then dispose of the tissue. When a tissue is not available, cough or sneeze into your elbow.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces or objects. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work or school, especially when someone is ill.
- Wash hands for 20 seconds. Washing hands often under clean, running water can help prevent the spread of germs. For more guidance see the CDC: When and How to Wash Your Hands. If you cannot wash your hands, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-95% alcohol.
School nurses are available to-
- Communicate with families and students - DURING THE SCHOOL CLOSURE PLEASE CONTACT YOUR CHILD'S CERTIFIED SCHOOL NURSE WITH ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS YOU MAY HAVE REGARDING YOUR CHILD'S HEALTH, SAFETY OR WELFARE.
Muhlenberg Elementary Center
Mrs. Mary Cameron, RN, BSN, Certified School Nurse
C.E. Cole Intermediate School
Contact any listed Certified School Nurse
Muhlenberg Middle School
Mrs. Kathy Bower, Certified School Nurse, MSN, CRNP, MEd.
Chairperson of Health Services Department
Muhlenberg High School
Mrs. Sharon Lountzis, RN, BSN, Certified School Nurse
- Provide factual updates, as needed, regarding COVID-19 and tips to help decrease public fears.
- Consult with primary care providers, local, and state health departments if they observe individuals with symptoms or circumstances that seem to match those related to COVID-19 exposure.
For CDC updates go to https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/index.html.